A former settlement and post office at the Eagle
River Mine north of Eagle River, approximately four miles from tidewater and 22
miles northwest of Juneau. A miner's name apparently derived from the word
amalgam. The mine, discovered in 1902, is in what was called Thane Mountain for
Bartlett L. Thane, who was the mine superintendent. The 20-stamp mill and
settlement were 900 feet below the mine and connected with it by cable tramway.
The post office was established July 29, 1905. A horse tramway ran from the
settlement seven miles to the beach at Amalga Landing on what is now known as
Amalga Harbor, where the company had a wharf and warehouse. The mine operated
for a number of years but in 1923 the stamp mill was moved to the Apex el Nido
Mine at Lisianski Inlet. The Post Office may have been moved to Amalga Landing
when the mine closed. It was discontinued in 1927.