is on the south bank of the Koyukuk River, southwest of its junction
with the Alatna River, approximately 190 air miles northwest of
Fairbanks and 57 miles upriver from Hughes. The village of Alatna, which
is within the municipal boundaries of the City of Allakaket, is located
directly across the river. It lies at approximately 66░ 34' N Latitude,
152░ 38' W Longitude (Sec. 14, T020N, R024W, Fairbanks Meridian). The
community is located in the Fairbanks Recording District. The area
encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
Native groups have lived in the area, including Koyukon Athabascans and
Kobuk, Selawik, and Nunamiut Eskimos from the north and northwest. The
Koyukon lived in several camps throughout the year, moving as the
seasons changed, following the wild game and fish. The various bands
established joint settlements after 1851. The old site of Alatna was a
traditional trading center for Athabascans and Eskimos. The first
mission on the Koyukuk River, St. John's-in-the-Wilderness Episcopal
Mission, was established in 1906. A post office was opened in 1925. In
1938, the name of the community was changed to Allakaket (the old name
for the mission), and the name Alatna was assumed by the small Eskimo
community across the river. The first public school was established in
1957. A flood caused by ice jamming inundated 85% of the community in
the Spring of 1964. In 1975, the community incorporated as a City,
including both settlements of Allakaket and Alatna. A clinic and airport
were built in 1978. A new school and community roads were built in 1979.
In September 1994, flood waters destroyed and swept away nearly all of
the community's buildings, homes, and food caches for the winter.
Residents were housed in other villages for the winter. The City has
relocated near the old site, and is rebuilding homes and facilities.