is on the north bank of the Koyukuk river, southwest of its junction
with the Alatna River, approximately 190 air miles northwest of
Fairbanks and 57 miles upriver from Hughes. The village of Alatna is
within the municipal boundaries of the City of Allakaket, although it is
across the river from Allakaket. It lies at approximately 66░ 34' N
Latitude, 152░ 40' W Longitude (Sec. 33, T021N, R024W, Fairbanks
Meridian). The community is located in the Fairbanks Recording District.
The area encompasses 2 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
Several Native groups have lived in the
area, including Koyukon Athabascans and Kobuk, Selawik, and Nunamiut
Eskimos from the north and northwest. The Koyukon lived in several camps
throughout the year, moving as the seasons changed, following the wild
game and fish. The various bands established joint settlements after
1851. The old site of Alatna was a traditional trading center for
Athabascans and Eskimos. The first mission on the Koyukuk River, St.
John's-in-the-Wilderness Episcopal Mission, was established in 1906. A
post office was opened in 1925. In 1938, the name of the community was
changed to Allakaket (the old name for the mission), and the name Alatna
was assumed by the small Eskimo community across the river. The first
public school was established in 1957. A flood caused by ice jamming
inundated 85% of the community in the Spring of 1964. In 1975, the
community incorporated as a City, including both settlements of
Allakaket and Alatna. A clinic and airport were built in 1978. A new
school and community roads were built in 1979. In September 1994, flood
waters destroyed and swept away nearly all of the community's buildings,
homes, and food caches for the winter. Residents were housed in other
villages for the winter. The City has relocated near the old site, and
is rebuilding homes and facilities.