Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Alaneva
 

The Census of 1890 noted a series of settlements along the beach, including Rutkovsky village, a group of retired employees of the Russian American Company. A post office was maintained intermittently from 1888 to 1958. The Good Friday Earthquake of 1964 generated a tsunami, which destroyed the village. A new community was constructed on the northeast coast of Kodiak Island, called Port Lions, and the residents of Afognak moved there permanently in December 1964. Aleneva is currently a settlement of "Russian Old Believers," whose ancestors settled in Woodburn, Oregon, after the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 forced them out of Russia. The first Old Believer settlers in Alaska received a grant from the Tolstoy Foundation in New York and purchased land on the Kenai Peninsula in 1967. Russian Old Believers have established various other settlements in Alaska, including Aleneva.

The population consists of 1.5% Alaska Native or part Native. During the 2000 census, total housing units numbered 14, of which none were vacant. 2000 census data showed 21 residents as employed. The unemployment rate at that time was zero, although half of all adults were not in the work force. The median household income was $10,417 and the per capita income was $3,707, making Aleneva the place in Alaska with the lowest per capita income.[citation needed] 40.66% of residents were living below the poverty level.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress