is located on the west bank of the Kuskokwim River, on the
Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies 18 miles northeast of Bethel. It lies at
approximately 60░ 54' N Latitude, 161░ 25' W Longitude (Sec. 36, T010N,
R069W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel
Recording District. The area encompasses 10 sq. miles of land and 2 sq.
miles of water.
The area was used by the Yup'ik Eskimos
as a seasonal subsistence site. Called "Akiakchagamiut" in the 1890
census, the village had a population of 43 at that time. A post office
was established in 1934. It incorporated as a second class city in 1974,
but the city government was dissolved in 1987 in favor of traditional
village council governance.