Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 




Fred Hardy, a.k.a. Fred Watkyns

September 3, 1901

Anaconda Standard (Anaconda, MT)

page 2


Hardy Alleged to Have Killed Con and Florence Sullivan


Watch and Other Articles Tending to Connect Him With the Crime Found by the Officerrs -- Is Probably Now on Trial.

Special Dispatch to the Standard

Seattle, Wash, Sept. 2.-- Fred Hardy, who was recently arrested in Alaska on the charge of assassinating Con and Florence Sullivan of Butte and P. J. Rooney of Seattle; on Unimak Island is probably now on trial at Unalaska.  The special grand jury taken from Nome brought in and indictment of murder in the first degree against Hardy before Judge Wickersham.  The trial was set for Aug. 28.  Hardy claims to be a nephew of John Wannamaker of Philadelphia, ex-postmaster general of the United States, and declares that he served with the 10th Pennsylvania volunteers in the Philippine Islands, entering as a private and rising to be first lieutenant in his company.  He afterwards, so he claims, enlisted in the 11th cavalry.

News of the indictment was brought on the steamer Santa Ana.  Hardy also states that when he was mustered out at San Francisco last year he had $1,100 in his possession  Commissioner Whipple, before whom he had his preliminary hearing, it is reported, declares that he had only $585 on him when arrested.  Hardy says he had $685 left of the original $1,100 at that time and accuses the commissioner of holding out $100.  According to advices the grand jury, before it returns to Nome, will make an investigation of this phase of the case.

Hardy, who is 25 years of age, pleaded not guilty to the charge made against him.  His career on the island has been traced down by Deputy Marshal Sullivan and other officers.  In addition to the testimony of Owen Jackson, the survivor of the Sullivan party, which has already been published strong evidence was collected against the young man.  In company with a man named Williams he deserted from the schooner Arago in Unimak by.  The two men went to some fisher folk and endeavored to secure the loan of a dory.  It seems that at this time they parted.  Williams was successful in getting a boat, but the party did not have money to make the deposit which was demanded.  He then, it is believed, crossed the island to the east side of Cape Lapin and there shot down the three men.  He stood on a high bank above them, it is alleged and opened fire.  This was on June 7.  He then returned to the bay, made a deposit with the fishermen, secured the dory and rode around by False pass to the northeast corner of the island, where he gambled with fishermen.  There he stopped in a cabin belonging to two men named Roseburg and Scott, both of whom were held as witnesses against him.  It was at this place that he was arrested.

When Hardy heard that officers were after him he tied up, it is claimed, a gold watch, a diamond pin and a few other pieces of jewelry and hid them.  They were found by Deputy Marshal Sullivan.  The watch bore the inscription "Julius to Florence" the latter being the first name of one of the Sullivans.  It is also alleged that Hardy murdered his former partner, Williams.  The latter completely disappeared after he hired the dory.  When Hardy was arrested a gun and a pair of scissors belonging to Williams were found in his possession.

Hardy parts his hair in the middle, has large ears, small brown eyes, large nose, high cheekbones, full face, smooth shaves and has a habit of keeping his mouth slightly open.


Wednesday, October 16, 1901

Daily Alaska Dispatch, Juneau

page 4

Wanamaker's Nephew

Murder Harting Has Some Wealthy Eastern Connections

Fred Hardy of Philadelphia, who says he is a nephew of John Wanamaker, has been found guilty of murdering three prospectors on Unimak Island last June and has been sentenced by Judge Wickersham to be hanged at Nome on Dec. 6.  Hardy was tried at a special session of court held at Unalaska and convicted by a strong chain of circumstantial evidence, strengthened by the testimony of David Jackson, partners of the murdered men, who was himself shot by Hardy and barely escaped with his life.

Hardy is 26 years old and served in the Philippine war as private in the Tennessee regiment.  He frequently broke army discipline and served in the military prison in California after his return.  During trial he was wholly indifferent, joking and laughing after the jury brought in a verdict of guilty.


Monday, November 18, 1901

Grand Rapids Press, Grand Rapids, MI

page 7


Of the Two Men Who Were Murdered in Alaska.

The funeral of Con Sullivan and Florence Sullivan who were murdered on Unimak island, off the coast of Alaska, last June by Fred Hardy, was held this morning at 9 o'clock from St. James' church, and the interment was in St. Andrew's cemetery.  The remains of the two men were received here at 5 o'clock Saturday afternoon, and reposed at O'Brien's undertaking room until this morning.  The funeral was a very large one, and the unusual spectacle of two hearses attracted no little attention to the long cavalcade that followed.  David Blake of Tacoma and Jeremiah Sullivan of Butte, Mont., relatives, who accompanied the remains to this city, are the guests of Daniel Lynch.


Thursday, December 5, 1901

Anaconda Standard, Anaconda, MT

page 4



Execution Will Take Place at Nome.  Condemned Man Claims to Be a Nephew of John Wanamaker of Philadelphia - Indifferent to Fate.

Word has been received in Anaconda tht Fred Hardy, condemned to death for the murder of Con and Florence Sullivan of Butte on Unimak island, Alaska, on June 7, will be hanged to-morrow at Nome.  Hardy, in the course of his trial, asserted he was from Philadelphia and that he was a nephew of John Wanamaker.  His crime was the murder of Con and Florence Sullivan, brothers, of Butte, and P. J. Rooney of Seattle.  Hardy was tried at a special session of court held at Unalaska and convicted by a strong chain of circumstantial evidence, strengthened by the testimony of David Jackson, a partner of the murdered men, who was himself shot by Hardy and barely escaped with his life.

Hardy is 26 years old, and served in the Philippine war as a private in a Tennessee regiment.  He frequently infringed army discipline and served in the military prison in California after his return.  At that prison he was known as "Diamond Dick," so named for his propensity for reading dime novels.  During his trial at Nome he appeared wholly indifferent to his fate, joking and laughing after the jury brought in a verdict of guilty.


Wednesday, May 28, 1902

Daily Alaska Dispatch, Juneau

page 3


Seattle, May 19 -- Five principal witnesses in the case of the Government vs. Fred Hardy, charged with the triple murder of Conn Sullivan, P. J. Rooney and Florence Sullivan, on Nunivak island, Bering sea, last June, have engaged passage for St. Michael on the Nome steamship Roanoke.  Hardy, as previously announced, was granted a new trial, which is to occur at St. Michael before Judge James Wickersham, June 18.  The first trial, resulting in a conviction of the accused, was held at Dutch Harbor last fall.  Judge Wickersham and other court officials will be conveyed on the Roanoke from Nome to St. Michael as soon as it is possible for the vessel to leave the former port following the discharge of her Nome freight and passengers.


Tuesday, August 5, 1902

Daily Alaska Dispatch, Juneau

page 1


The Nome News of July 18 says:

Fred Hardy, the murderer of Con and Florence Sullivan, and P. J. Rooney, on Unimak island a year ago, has but two months and one day to live, unless the President of the United States should intervene; and extremely remote possibility.

He stood before Judge Moore at 2:10 o'clock this afternoon and for the second time heard the sentence of death passed upon him.  On October 29, 1901 his execution was postponed by an order of Judge Wickersham until today July 18, 1902.  The mandate of the United States Supreme Court, affirming the judgment of this court reached her Wednesday, and at two o'clock today acting district attorney J. W. Mealon asked that Hardy be re-sentenced.

Hardy and his attorneys, P. C. Sullivan and John Corson, were present.  Hardy sat between Deputies Lowe and Esterbrook.  He was pale from long confinement in the jail but was little affected, apparently, by his awful position.  When the court asked if he had any reasons to give why sentence should not pass he answered in a faltering voice, "No, except that I am not guilty of the crime charged and there was not sufficient evidence to convict me."

Friday, September 19, between the hours of 9 and 3, was then fixed as the day of execution, and the condemned man was led back to his cell.


Wednesday, October 1, 1902

Daily Alaska Dispatch, Juneau

page 1


Murderer Hardy Protests Innocence to the Last.

(Special Alaskan Dispatch.)

Seattle, Wash., Oct. 1 -- Fred hardy was hanged at 10:40 a.m., Sept. 19 at Nome City.  The condemned murderer protested his innocence to the last breath and died without flinching.  The crime was committed near Unalaska and the O'Sullivan Brothers of Butte, were the victims.


Saturday, October 11, 1902

Tucson Daily Citizen, Tucson, AZ

page 1



Fred Hardy Who Was Hanged There Left His Fortune to a Well-Known Red Corss Nurse.


He Had Much Real Estate and Some Securities and Gave It to the Nurse for Her Kindness.

LOST ANGELES, Cal., Oct. 11. -- Among many stories of fortunes found in Alaska comes one that concerns Mrs. Mary E. Hart, a well-known American newspaper woman, who has not achieved a fortune, but had one thrust upon her, having been made the sole legatee of Fred Hardy who was hanged in Nome City, Alaska, September 19, for the murder of two prospectors, Con Sullivan and his brother Richard, [sic] both formerly of Butte City, Montana.

Mrs. Hart, in a Red Cross capacity, visited Hardy while he was in jail, and was kind to him and sympathized in his trouble.

Hardy claimed to be a nephew of John Wanamaker.  On the night before the hanging, at 9 o'clock, Hardy sent for Mrs. Hart and told her he had made her his legatee.  He gave her an order on Linda Hough & Co., of San Francisco, for his trunk, which contains clothing, a sword and sundry articles to the value of $500.  He asked her to send photographs in the trunk to his mother.  The will is as follows:

"In the name of God, amen.  I, Fred E. Watkyns, of Lawrence county, Tennessee (Known in Nome, Alaska by the name of Fred Hardy), aged 26, of sound and disposing mind and memory, and not acting under duress, menace, fraud or undue influence of any person whatsoever, do hereby and declare this to be my last will and testament in the manner following:

"1. I give, devise and bequeath all property, both real and personal, of whatever kind or nature owned by me at time of my death, to Mary E. Hart, of Nome, Alaska, to have and to hold, said real property to accrue to her and her heirs and assigns forever.

Said real property consists of 375 acres of land in Black county, State of Michigan, recorded in the records of said county at Kalkaska , county seat.

"Also, 1,565 acres of land in Lawrence county, State of Tennessee, recorded in the records of said county at Lawrenceburg, county seat.

"Said personal property consisting of some money, the exact amount of which I do not know, which I believe will be found in the First National Bank, Logan, Hocking county, Ohio, which said money was left to me by my grandmother, Meg Watkyns.

"2.  I hereby nominate and appoint Mary E. Hart sole executrix of this my last will and testament, and expressly declare no bonds shall be required of my said executrix to act:

"Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 18th day of September, 1902.


Fred Hardy's true name was Watkyns.  His stepfather's name is Hardy, and he took his name.  He said that he was born in Lexington, Ohio, in 1876.  In 1897, he enlisted in the United States cavalry and started for Cuba.  He was in the Philippine war, was mustered out at the Presidio in San Francisco, March 28, 1901.  He claimed that he had $1,800 when he was discharged.  He went to the Aleutian islands on the fishing schooner Arago, and deserved while ashore for water.

Mrs. Hart will leave Alaska the latter part of October, and proceed to take possession of the property named.




ęCopyright 2012 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress