Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 




Jacob A. Westby

J. A. WESTBY is a well known and highly respected citizen of Nome. He has been identified with the mining interests of the Nome District since the fall of 1899. In the following year he was appointed by Judge Noyes to the position of United States Commissioner and Recorder of the Norton Sound Precinct, but this position being a cause of expense instead of a source of profit, he resigned. His mining interests are situated on Willow Creek and Casadepago and Solomon Rivers.

Mr. Westby is a native of Norway and was born October 19, 1848. When fourteen years of age he left home and went to America. He received most of his education in the public schools of the United States. For several years he was a sailor on Lake Michigan, and for a period of five years was on the police force of Red Wing, Minn. Subsequently he received an appointment of Deputy United States Surveyor, having learned the profession of surveying under the first Deputy United States Surveyor in the state of Michigan. In 1885 he was deputy warden of the Michigan State Prison, and subsequently for a year and a half filled the office of warden. In 1892 he moved to Idaho and engaged in mining. He went to Dawson in 1898, and lived in the Yukon Territory a little more than a year. While in the Yukon Territory he mined on a fraction between 16 and 17 El Dorado Creek. Attracted by the Nome strike he came down the river, arriving in Nome November 28, 1899. Mr. Westby has been a leading member of the Anvil Masonic Club, being No. 14 on the roll of charter members of this organization, which has done much good work of a helpful and charitable character.

In September, 1872, he and Miss Marie Summers were married in Red Wing, Minn. They have had ten children, eight of whom -- five girls and three boys -- are living. Mr. Westby is a man of uncompromising honesty; a man of strong character and the courage to do right.  

Source: Nome and Seward Peninsula by R. S. Harrison. Seattle: The Metropolitan Press, 1905.




ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress