Harry G. Steel
HARRY G. STEEL, editor and
manager of the Nome News, is
a native of Pennsylvania, where
he spent his boyhood days and received
his newspaper training. He is the
youngest son of Col. J. Irvin Steel,
treasurer of the National Editorial Association, and one of the oldest living
newspaper owners in the Keystone
State, having been actively engaged in
the profession for near half a century.
The father and five sons own in all
H. G. Steel was city editor of the
Ashland Evening Telegram, Mauch
Chunk Daily Times and Pottsville
Daily Republican prior to 1893, when
he purchased the Shamokin Daily Herald. All of these papers are published
in Pennsylvania. In 1899 Mr. Steel
took a seventy-five ton plant to Dawson
and started the Daily News, the first
daily newspaper in the Klondike. That
fall he sent a plant to Nome and there
established the News, the first newspaper in that camp. He went to Nome
in the spring of 1900, and assumed the active management of the News and has since
been at the head of that paper. When the wireless system was completed between St.
Michael and Safety, Mr. Steel had the distinction of receiving the first commercial message over the line, and the News received and printed the first wireless press messages
received in the North.
Source: Nome and Seward Peninsula by
E. S. Harrison. Seattle: The Metropolitan Press, 1905.